Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Step by Step 2014 ~ Halfway There

Hi everyone,

Thanks for stopping by today, I'm truly honored to have you here. In today's post I'll be sharing my training notes from the last couple weeks and also giving some thoughts about where I'm at. If it's your first time here, and/or you'd like to catch up with everything about this year's challenge, you can find all the related posts HERE.

I can hardly believe that I've been training three times a week for almost 14 weeks, having started on Friday, March 28, 2014 and there are now 14 weeks until the start of the challenge. I'll say more about that a little later, but first here are the training notes...

Friday, June 20, 2014
1 mile/ 48 laps completed. I decided not to push myself too much today. I know, that's rare for me, but as the weeks are flying by and the challenge getting ever closer, I have to listen to my body. Especially because a friend of mine who has been both a national level swimmer and then a coach, warned me that if I were to get the troublesome left bicep checked (which I'm not going to do) and there is a tear, I'll need to rest up COMPLETELY for six weeks and then slowly rehab. That would mean that I can't do the challenge this year, but I'm determined that it WILL go ahead.

I KNOW it's a risk, but at this stage I'd rather bring the start date forward, if need be and turn the training miles into actual challenge miles, than to take a complete break and have to start over. Cumulative totals: 21-3/4 miles/ 1044 laps. I'm finally through the 1000 lap barrier! YAY!

Monday, June 23, 2014
I felt well rested after a really relaxed weekend and the niggly bicep seems to be behaving. Yay! The weather is finally warming up and so today's cardio was a bit harder than others, but I got through the 4 mile Walk At Home workout and still felt great afterwards.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014
1 mile/ 48 lap swim. Not many people manage to fall UP the stairs, but it seems I'm one of them LOL. On my way to bed last night I missed the top step and fell pretty heavily into the bathroom doorway. I was carrying my laptop at the time so my first concern was for that! Only when I'd checked it was ok, did I see and indeed feel all the grazes and bruises, including one on the left bicep! Typical LOL!

I was understandably very sore when I woke this morning. As a result I didn't even know whether I'd be able to do much in the pool at all, so for the first time I got into the water with absolutely NO target distance. It was in effect a "free" swim and whatever I could do would be a bonus and would get me closer to the challenge itself. As I progressed I decided that I'd get to a mile and then stop, no matter how I was feeling. Yep, I truly am listing to my body!

The prayer I said while still in the water was even more thankful than others. I'd felt not only everyone who is supporting me, but also my Ultimate Lifeguard's presence by my side encouraging me. Cumulative totals: 22-3/4 miles/ 1092 laps.


Friday, June 27, 2014
Because I was still feeling the effects of the fall and also having an early meeting this morning I decided to swap today's usual pool session for a 4 mile Walk at Home cardio workout. It went well and I'm pleased to have gotten through what has been the roughest week yet since I started training.

Monday, June 30, 2014
After a well earned restful weekend, I was pumped for today's cardio workout and felt great afterwards.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Thankfully the soreness from my fall has eased and I'm feeling great, and even the sometimes niggly bicep feels good! The bruise on the bicep from the fall is still looking angry, but because of my underlying autoimmune condition I take a long time to heal, so I'm not concerned about that at all.

I still don't want to push myself TOO much, but having taken it easy for a few weeks and because I'm feeling so much better, today's aim was to complete 1-1/4 miles/ 60 laps in the pool. I'm very pleased to say I DID it and by the end I STILL felt great!!! Could I have done more? Perhaps I could have, but yep, I am still being careful!

Today's swim also rounded out the cumulative total to TWENTY FOUR MILES/ 1152 laps! Am I proud? YES! Am I determined to give this my all? HECK YES!

Taking a SHORT break!
Last weekend when I looked ahead to this short working week, I had thought that although it's a very special holiday for us Americans on Friday, July 4th, that I would still hit the pool early and do a session. After all I've worked out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the last 14 weeks, including on other holidays, so why should this be any different?

I mentioned it to a friend, Mike, and as we talked, he told me how well I'm DOING, how well I've DONE and how he and indeed everyone know how DETERMINED I am to give this my all. It was then that I decided that I WILL take Independence Day off! I deserve an extra rest day and the fact that it is America's birthday and I've reached the half way point in my training means it's a doubly good time to do so.

There will be a celebratory post made to the blog on Friday, but I'll write it and schedule it for publication tomorrow.

To end this rather long post, I once again want to thank all of YOU! Your encouragement and support truly does mean so much to me. Each of you is an inspiration! THANK YOU!!!

God bless,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment