Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Important Announcement ~ Postponement

Hi everyone,

I'm honored to have you here today, thanks for stopping by.

It's with a heavy heart that I announce that after much thought and indeed prayer on the matter, I've taken the very difficult decision to postpone the Battling Back challenge that had been scheduled for this coming October and November.

As regular readers will know, I've been nursing a niggling injury to my left bicep pretty much since I started training in late March for the challenge. As the weeks have gone by I've been determined to carry on and if need be bring the start date forward. I felt that that decision itself diminished the tough challenge that I'd set myself, but it was made for a few reasons, notably my stubbornness and determination not to quit.

However, with the intended start date now just over 11 weeks away, and the fact that in the last month I've only been able to train in the pool once each week because of the discomfort/ pain that even as I type this post I'm feeling, I know that this is the right decision, albeit a very difficult one to have made.

What happens now?
I will take the break from the pool that my friend and honorary coach Sarah has been trying to tell me to take for months, so that the muscle can repair. During the break I will be keeping up with the cardio sessions and will maintain the 3 times per week workout schedule for those.

Then, when the time is right, I'll begin rehab with gentle swims and work up from there towards the rescheduled Battling Back challenge.

Although posts may be infrequent for the time being, I WILL continue with the blog, so I hope you'll stick with me and perhaps consider subscribing to updates via email so you don't miss anything.

New date?
As of right now, I don't have a new date for the Battling Back challenge, but I promise that it WILL happen next year, quite possibly following the schedule I'd planned for this.

There ARE so many positives
Despite my obvious disappointment at having to postpone, there are SO many positives from having gotten to this point. Here are some of the highlights...

My first workout, on March 28 was only 15 minutes long and afterwards I was exhausted, but it was a first baby step back to physical fitness. I've come so far from that point, including...

Swimming a mile during my first pool session in more than 4 years on April 9.

Apart from the injury that's brought about the postponement, I'm a lot fitter than I was at the beginning and indeed I'm around 15 pounds lighter now.

I am determined to continue Battling Back, becoming even stronger physically and more prepared for the undoubtedly tough Battling Back Challenge.

AND...
The mile I did in the pool last week took the total to 26 1/4 miles/ 1260 laps ~ The marathon distance I'd aimed for during the challenge, so I DID achieve my goal, albeit in training. I'm so proud of what I've achieved!


Words cannot truly express my thanks and gratitude to each and every one of you for your support and encouragement. You have been and continue to be my inspiration, and without you and my Lord by my side, I wouldn't have gotten this far. I give you my word that I will continue Battling Back. THANK YOU!!!

God bless,
Em

2 comments:

  1. I think you have made the right decision. You have everything possible and now need to just let your body heal itself.
    I get left arm bicep pain but it is from a rotator cuff injury. Eventually i will have surgery to repair it but in the meantime have done physio and massage to no avail. Best relief i have had has been from injections into my should joint. They are not a solution just a stop gap from the pain so that you can recover mobility...they did help me but do wear off...so...time for surgery...ugggh.

    I am cheering for you...you will eventually make your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mo. As far as I can tell this is a torn muscle or ligament, because the pain is very close to my elbow. But having previously had rotator cuff problems on my right side, I can definitely sympathize with you and will be praying for you. Please keep me updated. I resisted going and getting it checked out because I knew that would be the end of the challenge, but now I've accepted that, I will be getting it x-rayed/ scanned and will update everyone when I know xxx

      Delete