Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Step by Step 2014 ~ Proud, amazed, determined part 2

Hi everyone,

Thanks for stopping by today, I'm honored to have you here. If you missed last Wednesday's post, Step by Step 2014 ~ Proud, amazed, determined, you can click on the title and it will open in a new tab for you. Alternatively the blog archive, listing all previous posts, can be accessed from the home page.

In today's post we'll review my last three training sessions, last Friday, this Monday and today's. However, before we do, I feel I must again thank you all for your support and encouragement, it really does mean so much to me! THANK YOU!

Friday, April 11, 2014
So far this year spring seems to have been in hiding, so when I checked the forecast earlier in the week and saw that today was going to be dry, but perhaps not so warm, I knew that I wanted to try and get out for awhile and for the first time this year, with the exception of my vacation, take some photos.

I'm at my most relaxed when I'm outside, no matter where it is, but to be on a beach is even more so, especially when it's warm enough to be barefoot and given my current training regime it's a great workout too! I was really looking forward to it, but after Wednesday's exertions in the pool and still being a little sore, even late last night I was debating whether or not I'd get out today.

Luckily when I got up this morning it was sunny and warm and the stiffness in my back had eased. I knew then that yes, I'd get out! I'd be walking around three miles, half of that on the beach, so even when I headed out I was wondering if it would take the place of my usual workout, but there was plenty of time to make the decision. The moment I got to the beach, having already taken some photos on the way there, I took my sandals off. The sand was a little cool, but it felt so good! I took well over 100 photos in just over four hours, nothing unusual in that for me though lol. I'm only sharing a couple here, because this will be a long post, but the rest can be seen on my personal Facebook page and I'll also post others in later blog posts.


The breeze was so light, but with patience I was able to get a number of pics of Old Glory fluttering and it was well worth it.

As the day drew on, I decided that I would indeed be doing a full regular workout when I got back. I did just that, 45 minutes cardio and by the end of it I was tired, but pleased with what I'd achieved, combined with the walk on the beach, it had been my biggest day yet. I was again making progress.

Monday, April 14, 2014
I started the new week by doing another 45 minute cardio session today and really pushed myself during the third fifteen minute rep. I might up it to an hour on Friday, but will see how I feel after the pool session on Wednesday.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 ~ Splash by splash?
During the past week, whenever I've thought back to the first swim session, I'm still as proud, amazed and yes, determined as I was afterwards. Completing a mile after being away from the pool for over four years was some achievement!

You might think that my goal for today's session would be to match that? Yes and no. Yes, I know that I can't push myself too much, so doing the same as last week would also be great. On the other hand, I'm not only determined, but stubborn too and yes, those who know me will confirm that fact! This morning I did tell my brother Aaron that I'd perhaps aim to do an extra quarter mile, promising I'd be careful!

I got into the pool just around 1:10 pm this afternoon, fixed my new optical prescription goggles in place and sank down into the water. The moment I pushed back on the wall, gliding underwater, I was amazed I could see right to the other end of the pool! My first pause last week had been at the quarter mile point, 12 laps, but this week I didn't stop there, I pushed on and thought I'd perhaps take a quick break at one third of a mile, 16 laps. Nope!

If I was to do the extra quarter mile, 60 laps, perhaps I'd stop at 20, a third of the total distance? Nope! But what did happen around this point, or perhaps it was at the end of the 18th lap, was that I lost count. Oops! I couldn't remember if I'd done 18 or 20, so I started counting again from 18, then made sure I kept count! I looked up to the clock high above the pool, something that I couldn't see last week and noticed that I'd only been in the pool 20 minutes, so time-wise I was on a par with last week.

Perhaps I'd pause at the half mile point, 24 laps? Nah, not then either! Maybe 30? I did think about it, but no. I'd had the pool to myself since around lap 12 and was determined to kick on. By the time I got to 36 laps, the three quarter mile point, I gotten so far, why stop now? So I didn't! It was the same at 40 and at 48, the completion of the mile and where I'd stopped last week. I looked up at the clock again and saw I'd gotten this far in just under 50 minutes, the same as I'd achieved last week.

Something else that I did differently today was deciding not to count down the last laps. Having lost count earlier, I didn't want the same to happen again! Instead, I kicked on and upped the pace. Yes, I'd been feeling the effort in my shoulders for a bit, but I'd paced myself pretty well to this point and yes, I was happy.

Kicking off the wall at the start of lap 54, I changed stroke to freestyle, aiming to do the last six laps this way, but gliding in at the end of the next, I changed back down to breaststroke for lap 56. Yep, I admit it, it was my first, very minor disappointment, but it didn't last long! I changed back up for the start of lap 58, my penultimate lap of the day and my quickest so far. Coming in at the end of lap 60, I looked at the wall for a split second too long. I missed a breath and a beat, but didn't panic. I kicked on and pushed for the wall. I'd made it!

Not only had I increased the total distance to one and one quarter miles, an achievement to be proud of in itself, but for the first time EVER, I'd swam more than a quarter mile without a pause, a full MILE further! Wow, wow, wow! Yes, I am as PROUD, AMAZED and DETERMINED as ever to give this my ABSOLUTE ALL!

I'm not sure at this point what will be included in my next post, but it will be posted at some point on Friday, so please do check back then. Thanks again everyone for your support and encouragement. It really does me so much to me!

God bless,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment